An Act to provide for better protection of the interests of consumers and for that purpose to make provision for the establishment of consumer councils and other authorities for the settlement of consumers’ disputes and for matters connected therewith.
Important Features of the C.P. Act are
• The Act applies to all goods and services unless specifically exempted by the Central Government.
• It covers all the sectors – Private, Public and Co-operative.
• The provisions of the Act are compensatory in nature.
• It provides adjudicatory authorities, which are simple, speedy and less expensive.
• Establishment of Consumer Protection Councils at the National, State and District levels.
Consumer Rights under the Act are as follows:
• The right to be assured, wherever possible of access to variety of goods and services at competitive prices;
• The right to be informed about the quality, quantity, potency, purity, standard and price of goods or services, as the case may be to protect the consumer against unfair trade practices;
• The right to be protected against marketing of goods and services which are hazardous to life and property;
• The right to be heard and to be assured that consumers interests will receive due consideration at appropriate fora;
• The right to seek redressal against unfair trade practices or restrictive trade practices or unscrupulous exploitation of consumers; and
• The right to consumer education
Consumer Redressal Complaint Mechanism:
There are mainly 2 Consumer Complaint Redressal mechanisms:
Consumer Online Research and Empowerment (CORE) Centre:
• Online Registration, Visit Link: www.core.nic.in
• Call to register your complaint @ 1800-11-4000. (Timings: 09:30 AM To 05:30 PM (Except National Holidays)
• SMS on this Number 8130009809
Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission:
• National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission (NCDRC)
• State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission (SCDRC)
• District Dispute Redressal Commission (DCDRC
To Know More, Download Consumer Grievance Redressal Mechanism, India