GI Number –471
Waigaon Turmeric has distinct dark yellow color because of high Curcumin content which is more than 6%.
It has unique taste, enrich in oil content and pleasant aroma. It has special medicinal value.
Little quantity of Waigaon Turmeric is sufficient to increase the color of food. It is cultivated in organic manner.
Description of Waigaon Turmeric
Waigaon Turmeric is a traditional crop in Samudrapur tehsil of Wardha district. Use of this turmeric for wound healing, curing cough, cold and in many other diseases is traditionally known in this area.
This is a unique variety which matures in short period and grown under rain fed condition. Approximately 80% of the farmers from Waigaon village cultivate turmeric since generations. The color of waigaon turmeric is a dark mustard yellow as compared to other turmeric varieties.
The texture of this turmeric powder is very soft. Aroma of this turmeric is very pungent, still attractive. Whole dry turmeric finger sets are very thick and solid (fleshy).
Proof of Origin
Waigaon Turmeric has a long history since the Mughal Province. Waigaon variety of turmeric is cultivated in Samudrapur tehsil more prominently in Waigaon village.
Farmers from Waigaon have mentioned that Waigaon variety is traditional variety and cultivated in this area since generations and the same is continue.
The production of Waigaon Turmeric in Waigaon village is significantly high, due to which the village is known as ‘Haladya Waigaon’ (Halad is Marathi name of Turmeric).
Uniqueness of Waigaon Turmeric
- The Waigaon variety matures in just 180 days, earlier than other varieties.
- The high Curcumine content is the key ingredient that lends Waigaon Turmeric its distinctive yellowness. The higher its percentage, the deeper is the yellow color. Waigaon Turmeric has 6.12% curcumine content.
- Waigaon Turmeric had a special standing for its aroma and the curcumine content. It is completely organic farming. The Quality of Waigaon Turmeric and its medicinal value is maintained due to organic farming since no chemicals and pesticides are used.
- Very less quantity of powder is sufficient for increasing the color of food items. Durability of turmeric powder is more.
Key Factors of Cultivation of the Waigaon Turmeric
Turmeric farming is completely organic. In overall cultivation period and processing of turmeric no chemicals and pesticides are used.
The total cultivation and processing period of turmeric is near about 8 months. Cultivation of turmeric starts after ‘Akshaytrutiya’s festival. If irrigation facilities are available the planting of rhizomes is possible at the time of ‘Akshaytrutiya’. However, most of the farmers do planting at the monsoon to take advantage of the rainfall.
Seed material: Whole or split mother rhizomes are used for planting. Farmers generally select well-developed, healthy and disease free rhizomes from previous production.
Water Management: ‘Wardha’ river is flowing near to Waigaon. Canals are used for water supply in this turmeric belt. The yield of turmeric mainly depends upon rainfall from June to September. In the month of October and November plants can be irrigated by river water or by canal water with sprinkling irrigation if post monsoon rains are not received.
The black soil of Waigaon is suitable for turmeric cultivation. Additionally, 10 feet deep black soil available layer helps in water retention in soil. Black soil from Waigaon is alkaline in nature having pH more than 86 and it contains high organic carbon.
Whole turmeric crop is useful in various manners:
- Turmeric powder and even fingers are used in marriage ceremonies, religious ceremonies.
- People of ancient India believed that turmeric gives the energy of the Divine Mother and helps to grant prosperity.
- It is effective for cleansing the Chakras (energy centers in the body) purifying the channels of the subtle body.
- Turmeric has a traditional importance. Its paste is applied to forehead (third eye Chakra) during Puja (devotional ceremony) and wedding.
- Turmeric powder is used as an essential spice in food preparation as an ingredient. It is used in curries and other food to improve storage conditions, palatability and preservation. It helps – in enriching food color.
- Turmeric powder prepared from dry turmeric old mother sets are used in preparing “Kumkum” (red turmeric powder used for making the distinctive Hindu mark on the forehead) which is non allergic. It is also used in ‘Ashtgandh’.
- Traditionally, turmeric is also used to dye the marriage clothes. It was believed that any clothing dyed with turmeric was protection from fever.
- Turmeric color extract can be used as an organic food color.
- Turmeric fingers are used to prepare pickles. Pickle made from Waigaon Turmertc ts very tasty and nutritious too.
Interesting Facts of Turmeric
Medicinal Uses of Waigaon Turmeric
- Cancer Treatment: Curcumine content is high in Waigaon Turmeric. Turmeric extracts and Curcumine have been found to be cancer preventing compounds in different tumor models as well as in limited human studies. Curcumine Capsule is used as a dietary supplement in treatment of cancer and other diseases.
- HIV Treatment: Turmeric was also studied as a potential antiviral agent against Human immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). Antioxidant properties of Waigaon Turmeric could delay the progression of HIV. In the recent studies at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research in Bangalore, scientists fed curcumine to HlV-infected cells in the laboratory, the virus stopped replicating. Curcumine could be used to help formulate a combination of drugs to treat HIV infection. Curcumine stops an enzyme called p300 from performing its normal role of controlling the activity of human genes. Because HIV integrates itself into human genetic material, when p300 stops working, the virus can no longer multiply.
- Treatment in Neurological Diseases: Turmeric is also helpful in treating and preventing neurological diseases like Alzheimer. Curcumine inhibits the accumulation of destructive beta amyloid in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients. Curcumine is more effective in inhibiting formation of the protein fragments than many other drugs being tested to treat Alzheimer’s.
- Use to cure Arthritis: Turmeric is used in traditional medicine to treat arthritis.
- Turmeric powder is used to cure cough and cold.
Skin Diseases: It purifies and nourishes the blood and skin so that the glow of health is not attenuated by blemishes and impurities but rather amplified through clarity. Generally, Turmeric is used as Ubtan (paste) with chick-pea flour, sesame or almond oil, a little fresh cream and honey to clear the patches on skin and increase the natural glow. Turmeric is bitter and anti inflammatory, it is used for skin diseases, especially wet eczema.
Healing Wounds: Turmeric essential oil works as an external antibiotic to prevent infections in wounds. A nice formula for wound healing is a mixture of olive oil, beeswax tea tree oil, aloe, turmeric, arnica, slippery elm, red clover thyme oil and vitamin E.newtuemerictips
Waigaon Turmeric has been registered with the Geographical Indications (GI) registry of Government of India in 2016.